When I found out I was pregnant in June 2021, I went on a search to find a vegan prenatal vitamin made by a vegan company and sold by a vegan shop. I could not find one that ticked all 3 boxes. To my knowledge, Viridian’s Pregnancy Complex is the only vegan option available in SA that is palm oil free.
“Do what you can, with what you’ve got, where you are.” Theodore Roosevelt
Before I started taking the Pregnancy Complex I was taking vegan folic acid which I’ll post about soon.
Viridian is a family-owned UK based ethical nutritional supplements company that was founded in 1999. Cheryl Thallon who is the Founder and MD of Viridian is a Vegetarian and is Co-author of Vegetarian Edinburgh and ex-editor of the Natural Food Trader magazine.
Viridian has a range of over 220 award-winning vitamins, minerals, herbs, amino acids, nutritional oils, tinctures and balms. More than 75 of their products are certified organic by the Soil Association. Although Viridian is not a vegan company, many of their products are vegan.
Viridian’s Pregnancy Complex is a vitamin supplement with a combination of 27 essential nutrients that helps your body during pregnancy. It is suitable to take in trimesters 1, 2 and 3 as well as after birth when breastfeeding. It has no artificial additives, binders or fillers, and contains only active ingredients of vitmains and minerals.
It includes 400mcg of folic acid (a form of vitamin B) which is the recommended daily amount to support foetal development. It also contains iron to contribute to cognitive development, iodine to contribute to the normal growth of children as well as calcium, VitD for the normal growth and development of bone in children, VitC to support the immune system and VitA.
It’s recommend to take the Pregnancy Complex alongside a Omega Oil for optimum mum and baby nutrition. I have recently started taking a vegan omega oil made from algae which I’ll post about soon.
Directions: As a food supplement, take two capsules daily with food, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Two vegan capsules provide:
- Mineral Ascorbate Complex providing: Vitamin C 200mg/Magnesium 18mg/Calcium 24mg 240mg
- Potassium (citrate) 48mg
- Choline (bitartrate) 50mg
- Iron (bisclycinate) 20mg
- Natural Beta Carotene /Carotenoid Mix (D.Salina) providing: Beta Carotene 5mg/Cryptoxanthin 39ug/Alpha Carotene 158ug/Zeaxanthin 32ug/Lutein 25ug 5mg
- Zinc (picolinate) 10mg
- Essential Amino Acid Complex providing: L-Arginine 5.5mg/L-Histidine 5.5mg/L-Isoleucine 5.5mg/L-Leucine 5.5mg/L-Lysine 5.5mg/L-Methionine 5.5mg/L-Phenylalanine 5.5mg/L-Threonine 5.5mg/L-Valine 5.5mg 50mg
- DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) 25mg
- Inositol 25mg
- Silica dioxide 10mg
- Selenium (selenomethionine) 100ug
- Vitamin B3 (nicotinamide) 13mg
- manganese (bisglycinate) 2mg
- Boron (sodium borate) 1mg
- Vit B5 (Calcium Pantothenate) 6mg
- Vit B6 (Pyridoxine HCI) 2.5mg
- Copper (citrate) 1mg
- Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin) 2.2ug
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine HCI) 1.4mg
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) 1.6mg
- Folic acid 400ug
- Chromium (picolinate) 50ug
- Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol – vegan) 10ug
- Iodine (potassium iodide) 150ug
- Molybdenum (ammonium molybdate) 50ug
- Vitamin K1 50ug
- Biotin 30ug
The Viridian Pregnancy Complex is packaged in glass with a aluminum lid. It is reusable and recyclable (both the glass jar and lid). The security jacket (plastic seal) is polylactic acid, a compostable plant-based material that can be placed in your garden compost.
Where to buy?
You can buy this Pregnancy Complex from Faithful to Nature.
Do you know of another vegan prenatal vitamin? I’d love to hear from you in a comment below.
Let’s get social!
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram to stay up to date with my posts! If you end up trying this product, after reading about it for the first time here, please tag me and let me know what you think. Remember to hashtag it #thegreenveganchick
© the green vegan chick. All images & content are copyright protected. Please follow my Sharing Policy if you would like to use or share any part of this post.